More than 150,000 stranded as Thomas Cook collapses

first_imgPhoto: Thomas Cook An emergency fleet of aircraft is being organized to rescue more than 150,000 stranded holidaymakers after the sudden collapse of the world’s oldest travel company, Thomas Cook.The company operates more than 100 passenger jets and announced early Monday that it had gone into administration after the failure of last-minute talks.It served destinations ranging from Europe to North Africa, the Middle East, the US and Caribbean.READ: Low oxygen bottles prompt Cathay to upgrade security, inform police.Also affected are almost 22,000 jobs worldwide, including 9,000 in the UK.A statement on the CAA’s website said the company had ceased trading and all flights were canceled.It said it was organizing a repatriation program for the stranded customers, dubbed Operation Matterhorn, to operate over the next two weeks.The number of stranded passengers is almost twice the number involved in the previous biggest peacetime repatriation program after the 2017 collapse of Monarch Airlines.“News of Thomas Cook’s collapse is deeply saddening for the company’s employees and customers, and we appreciate that more than 150,000 people currently abroad will be anxious about how they will now return to the UK,’’ said UK CAA chief executive Richard Moriarity.“The government has asked us to support Thomas Cook customers on what is the UK’s largest-ever peacetime repatriation.“We have launched, at very short notice, what is effectively one of the UK’s largest airlines, involving a fleet of aircraft secured from around the world.“ The nature and scale of the operation means that unfortunately some disruption will be inevitable. We ask customers to bear with us as we work around the clock to bring them home.”The Guardian newspaper reported that it understood airlines including British Airways and easyJet would be involved in the airlift.The aviation authority warned customers in the UK who had not yet traveled not to go to the airport and others to continue their holiday.It said it would endeavor to get people home as close as possible to their planned dates but warned some disruption was inevitable.“Passengers in a small number of destinations may return on alternative commercial flights, rather than directly through the Civil Aviation Authority’s flying program,” it added.Details of the repatriation program are available on a dedicated website, http://thomascook.caa.co.uk/.  The high volume of traffic on the website meant it had crashed at the time this story had published.The death of the ailing 178-year old company came after lengthy talks to broker a deal to save it.The company had secured a £900m ($US1.12m) rescue deal led by major shareholder Fosun in August but was unable to meet a recent demand from bankers to raise a further £200m in contingency funding.Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Frankhauser said in a statement that management had worked exhaustively in the past few days to resolve the outstanding issues.“Although a deal had been largely agreed, an additional facility requested in the last few days of negotiations presented a challenge that ultimately proved insurmountable,” he said“It is a matter of profound regret to me and the rest of the board that we were not successful,” he said.“I would like to apologize to our millions of customers, and thousands of employees, suppliers and partners who have supported us for many years.”Passengers with future Thomas Cook packaged holidays will be able to reclaim a refund through the UK’s ATOL financial protection scheme.Passengers currently overseas may also make claims for the cost of replacing ATOL protected parts of their trip, or for out of pocket expenses as a result of delayed flights home.The BBC said CAA staff had been contacting hotels accommodating packaged holiday customers to tell them the cost of their accommodation would be covered by ATOL.The Civil Aviation Authority said it would be launching a service to manage all refunds by September 30, “once the flying operation has progressed”.“This refunds service will seek to process all refunds within 60 days of full information being received,” it said.The business was founded by cabinet-maker Thomas Cook in 1841 to provide working-class people in Leicestershire local excursions that provided educational excursions as an alternative to drinking.last_img read more

Nasheed calls for Missouri Senate committee on gun violence

first_img(Missourinet) A key state senator from St. Louis is calling on Missouri’s GOP Senate leader to create an interim committee to study gun violence, saying it’s a public health crisis. State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, briefs Capitol reporters in January 2018 (file photo courtesy of Missouri Senate photographer Harrison Sweazea)State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, notes 13 children have been killed in St. Louis city shootings in 2019. She tells Missourinet she wants the Senate committee to hold a hearing in St. Louis.“And begin to hear all of the tragic incidents that have occurred due to gun violence from the surviving parents of those children that were killed,” Nasheed says.Nasheed describes the gun violence in her hometown as an epidemic. She’s also calling for increased protection of crime witnesses, saying they are fearful for their safety.Governor Mike Parson (R) signed legislation from Senator Nasheed into law this spring, which gives prosecutors discretion to redact personal identifying information about crime witnesses.Senator Nasheed, who serves as the Democratic Minority Caucus Whip in the State Senate, says by forming a Senate committee now, policies can be ready for discussion when lawmakers return to Jefferson City in January.She says lawmakers must also pass “concrete policy changes” to improve outcomes for police and prosecutors, when they return to the Capitol in January for the 2020 session.“Outstate (rural Missouri), they hunt animals,” says Nasheed. “And in the city (of St. Louis), all we have been seeing throughout the summer is humans hunting humans, killing humans.”Senate President Pro Tem Dave Schatz, R-Sullivan, says he’s open to having a conversation about an interim committee. He says he’ll discuss the issue with GOP state senators next week.However, Pro Tem Schatz tells Missourinet that if it’s about restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners, then it’s a “non-starter” for him.Lawmakers will return to the Missouri Capitol in Jefferson City on Monday for a special session on vehicle taxes. The annual veto session is next Wednesday.last_img read more

Dilshan asked Randiv to bowl no ball to Sehwag: Reports

first_imgTilakaratne Dilshan had reportedly asked Suraj Randiv to bowl a no ball to deny Indian opener Virender Sehwag a century in the third ODI on Monday, Sri Lankan media has reported. Even as Randiv draws flak from all quarters and reports of captain Kumar Sangakkara being suspended do the rounds, the Lankan media on Wednesday reported that it was Dilshan who actually provoked Randiv. Sources told Headlines Today that Dilshan, who was fielding at cover point, shouted in Sinhalese asking Randiv to deliver the no ball. Dilshan said: “Oney nam, no ball ekak danna puluwan” which means “if you want, you can bowl a no ball”. Strangely, no other Sri Lankan cricketer on the field reacted to Dilshan’s advice to Randiv. Sangakkara at the post-match press conference had in fact indicated that someone might have asked Randiv to bowl a no ball. Interestingly, Dilshan and Sehwag are team-mates in Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Delhi team, Delhi Daredevils. Sehwah was batting at 99 and India needed only 1 run to win the tie when Randiv alleged bowled a deliberate no ball. Though Sehwag hit a six on this last delivery of the match, it wasn’t considered according to the ICC rules as India had already won the match with an extra run.last_img read more

Kochi airport on high alert after terror threat

first_imgA threat of a bomb explosion or a possible suicide attack on an Air India flight from Mumbai sparked an alert here with authorities beefing up security at the international airport.Airport Director A K C Nair told PTI that they received information from Kolkata that there is a threat to the AI flight on the Mumbai-Kochi sector on October 25 and Ahmedabad-Mumbai sector tonight.”There was a threat of bomb attack or bomb suicide attack,” he said.A high-level meeting was convened this morning by CISF DIG Anand Mohan, who arrived here from Chennai, to review the security at the airport.The Director of Airports Authority of India, Kolkata, had received an anonymous call last night stating that AI flights on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai and Mumbai-Kochi sector will be ‘sabotaged’, airport sources said.The information had been handed over to police and Bureau of Civil Aviation Security and as per their directions security has been tightened at the airport, the sources said.A Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad, Quick Response team, CISF and police are keeping a constant vigil at the airport.last_img read more

Mina talks for the first time after Everton transfer

first_imgThe Colombian defender says is important that his club wants to fight for something valuable this seasonColombia National Team footballer Yerry Mina moved from Barcelona to Everton this Thursday.And he’s already talking what to expect from him and his club in the 2018-2019 Premier League season.“It is important that the club want to fight for something,” Mina told Everton TV as reported by Sky Sports News.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“This is why I am here. I have watched the Premier League for a long time. It is the best league in the world,” he added.The defender commented that “this is a great opportunity for me and I am looking forward to competing here.”“I know about Everton’s players and I look forward to being able to play with my new team.”“I have spoken a lot to the coach and I know his passion for Everton and determination to be successful. I am also determined to do my best for Everton.”last_img read more

Courtois hails Madrid move

first_imgNew Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has hailed his move to the Spanish capital as a dream come true.The 26-year-old who left Chelsea to sign for Madrid this summer revealed he is fulfilling a lifelong dream by joining the European champions at his unveiling today.The deal which also involves Croatian midfielder Mateo Kovacic moving on loan to Chelsea is understood to have cost Madrid around €35million.“Joining the best club in the world is a responsibility and a huge honor. I would like to thank Real Madrid for their efforts to bring me here, as well as everyone who made the move happen,” he said, according to The News.“Throughout my career, I’ve done my best for all the teams I’ve played for and I want to show I can match the expectations at this club.”Thibaut Courtois, Real MadridReport: Courtois’s agent arrested in money laundering case George Patchias – September 11, 2019 Real Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois agent has been arrested as part of a money-laundering investigation.The ugly word corruption is again staining the world of football. In…Courtois becomes only the second Belgian to play for Los Blancos after Fernand Goyvaerts, who was at Madrid from 1965 to 1967.“Real Madrid are signing one of the best goalkeepers in the world, if not the best,” Florentino Perez said.“He comes to Real at a young age but with a lot of experience and success in European Football.”Courtois won the Golden Glove award at the just concluded FIFA World Cup in Russia as Belgium finished third in the tournament.last_img read more

Spurs to activate Toby Alderwierelds oneyear extension clause

first_imgTottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino confirmed they will activate a one-year extension clause in defender Toby Alderweireld’s contractThe Belgian centre-back, who has been linked with a transfer to Manchester United, would have been free to discuss a pre-contract agreement in January with a foreign club.But Spurs will extend his expiring deal by another 12 months with a reported £25m to be activated for the summer transfer window.“Yes, for sure,” said Pochettino on Football London, when asked if Spurs will trigger Alderweireld’s clause.“It is obvious. It is the same situation as Jan (Vertonghen).”After making no signings in the summer, Pochettino suggested that Spurs may go next month without making a new addition to their squad again.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“I told you before, we’re always open but it’s going to be difficult – maybe not impossible but difficult, yes,” he said.Although the Argentine did confirm that he has held regular talks with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and chief scout Steve Hitchin over bringing in new players.“Yes maybe every day we talk but it depends on if players are going to leave, and to have space to sign players,” said Pochettino.“It depends on players out and then we’re going to see if we can add some quality to help the team.“But I think it’s not going to be easy to add players in January. For sure it’s going to be tough to add.Spurs beat Bournemouth 5-0 at Wembley on Wednesday to move up to second in the Premier League.last_img read more

Launch of the Department of Statistics website

first_img Related Items:anthony smith, department of statistics, shirlen forbes Favorite things about TCI revealed in exit survey results Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 13 Nov 2014 – Countdown on now for the historic launch of the Department of Statistics website; expected to go live on Friday with information dating back to 1976. 11:30 It seems the constant inquiries by media and other community leaders drove the development of the website; Chief Statistician Shirlen Forbes extended an opportunity for media to offer suggestions for the site. 6:19 The designer and public relations man, Anthony Smith said the website will not only be extensively explanatory but loaded with pertinent data to improve news reporting and other decisions by and within the public and private sectors. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppcenter_img Recommended for you LABOUR MINISTER HON. D.SHANE GIBSON RESPONDS TO LATEST EMPLOYMENT FIGURESlast_img read more

Sandals Resort can help indirectly in building TCI

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Jul 2015 – The TCI delegation is nine strong and features some of the most outspoken personalities in the country. Dr. Edward Smith who hosts a radio talk show – The Real Solutions and Rev Courtney Missick, a farmer from Kew, North Caicos and TV show host, both say they see a greater opportunity to partner more firmly with Beaches in order to better tourism and other industries in the TCI. Missick was particularly vocal on agriculture and the lack of help he says he has received from government despite its touted plans to build the sector. “I am not here speaking on behalf of Beaches because they have helped me with my farm; but I am speaking on behalf of the potentials that I see Beaches could do in helping other people in the Turks and Caicos. Take for instance what they are doing here in Barbados, what they are trying to do for farmers the same thing can be done for farmers in the Turks and Caicos if only the government would only try to subsidize the farmers. I for one can testify that the government has not done anything for me when it comes to agriculture. Right now for me to be able to grow produce for Beaches, because of the present moment, I am supplying a few local stores there with produce. If I now decide to grow produce for Beaches; I need to expand, but how am I going to expand.”Both men had an opportunity to quiz the Barbadian Tourism Minister and James Paul, who is CEO of the Barbados Agriculture Society. Mr. Paul explained that Sandals currently takes 10 commodities, including cucumbers, from its farmers in an arrangement which began just this past February.Dr. Smith promises that he is making inquiries, as it is no secret he sometimes opposes Beaches Resort. Deandrea Hamilton: “Sometimes our relationships in Turks and Caicos gets strained with Sandals, what do you think we can do to smooth that out?”Dr. Smith: “Sandals is partner, most definitely a partner, and this trip shows us that not only is Sandals a partner in the Turks and Caicos but throughout the region; they need to accept the fact that they want to work with us and we should put in those efforts to make it work.” Barbados Prime Minister speaks to country ahead of Tropical Storm Dorian; said country is preparing for 6-12 feet storm surge Recommended for you Related Items:barbados, barbados agricultural society, beaches resort and spa, dr. edward smith, james paul, North caicos, rev. courtney missick, sandals, the real solutions Multi-millionaire Barbados businessmen arrested in $3m drug bust, yacht suspected in drug trafficking Stinky sargassum blamed for marine disaster; dolphins, flying fish and turtles trappedlast_img read more